Peanut butter chocolate chunk ice cream

Peanut butter chocolate chunk ice cream

DISCLAIMER: THERE'S GOING TO BE AN INFLUX OF ICE CREAM RECIPES UNTIL THE END OF SUMMER.

There's something to be said about a spoonful of ice cream; sweating in the sun, melting in their mouths. I never realized it until we got an ice cream machine - and started making it regularly - but ice cream makes people happy. Giddy. Ecstatic, even. Walking the bowls from the kitchen to the dining area, their eyes got wide; fingers got excited. They sat as patiently as they could for the five seconds it took me to transport the bowls to the table surrounded by their quivering fingers. And then they dug in. Like scavengers that hadn't eaten in months. Like a tiny human at it's first birthday, shoving cake into it's mouth. If you've ever witnessed it, you know what I'm talking about. And that feeling - watching them get so excited over something as simple as cream and sugar? It gives me an indescribable sense of happiness. Happy as they are, scooping the melty goodness into their faces. Happy to be able to witness something so genuine, over something as uncomplicated as ice cream. This is the good stuff, folks. This is what keeps me going.

If you don't like the idea of using coconut milk, you can use equal amounts of soy creamer. But if you want to use soy creamer because you're worried about the ice cream tasting like coconut, the peanut butter does a good job of masking that. Be generous with the peanut butter. I'm serious. It makes the ice cream super smooth and creamy. And delicious. Also, I've been making ice cream with light coconut milk (and the kind from the carton) and it comes out just fine. Not as creamy as ice cream made with full fat coconut milk, but other than there there's not much of a difference. Use one can of full fat and one can of light and you'll be golden.

Healthier peanut butter ice cream here.

PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHUNK ICE CREAM

3 1/3 cups full fat coconut milk
1/2 cup cane sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter (or more)
1/2 cup chocolate chunks

In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together 1/4 cup of the milk, sugar and peanut butter. Stir until the peanut butter has melted then add the remaining milk. Bring to a boil and continue whisking for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a glass bowl, cover with plastic and refrigerate until cooled. Once cooled, pour the mixture into the bowl of your ice cream machine and mix according to the manufacturer's instructions. Add the chocolate chunks once the ice cream starts to thicken. It takes 30 minutes for my machine to make ice cream, and I added the chocolate after 10. Eat ice cream immideately (it will be somewhat soft) or transfer to a container and freeze until ready to consume. Thaw for about 10 minutes before serving.

Yield: 6 servings

24 comments:

  1. Ugh, I NEED an ice cream machine. I just made chocolate chip mint ice cream with young coconut meat, but now I have to wait AGES before it's frozen through! This looks marvelous, though. I need to make it sooooon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not quite as nice, but if you're really jonesing for homemade ice cream, you can put the ice cream mixture in a small ziplock, then put that in a large freezer bag filled with ice and salt and shake it. It's the same concept as an ice cream machine, just less sleek and less reusable.

      Delete
  2. AnonymousJuly 10, 2012

    oh my goodness this looks delectable! so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just inherited an ice cream machine and I feel like this needs to be the first one I make! This sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SO OKAY with an influx of ice cream recipes. You make the best, I'm convinced. Scooping melty goodness into ones face? THAT is summer. Perfect treat here, lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have got to get an ice cream maker...like yesterday. that looks AMAZING. and if you're gonna be posting more ice cream through out the summer i only have two options: ice cream maker or stop coming to your site. i choose ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum!! 4 ingredients?! How awesome is this :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't have an ice cream machine (though clearly I *need* one) but one of my good friend does. So I'm sending her this recipe and demanding she make it for me. :) Everybody wins.

    ReplyDelete
  8. its hot here finally..so i definitely do not mind the ice creams!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading this recipe makes me want chocolate almond butter ice cream. How'd you DO that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that looks and sounds soooo good. Just found your blog and am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And THIS is why I freakin' gain weight in summer :-)) Oh well! I'll lose it when the weather gets cold (we burn a lot more calories warming our bodies up than we do cooling off, it's a fact!)

    XOXO!!!

    YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummmmmm. This looks so fabulous. Chocolate, peanut butter and ice cream? Everything awesome rolled into one.


    ♥ It's Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect photo...it looks so delicious. I think i've never had some pb and chocolate ice cream !? I have to make this!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousJuly 14, 2012

    This is awesome! You nailed my sweet spot...absolutely a sucker for anything peanut butter and I love peanut butter chocolate chip ice cream :) Your description was great too :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousJuly 16, 2012

    So excited! Mine is in the fridge right now waiting to cool off. I added 1 tbsp of cornstarch to help with consistency because lately my ice creams have been icy. PB and chocolate is my favorite combination so I can't wait to dig into this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds amazing. I'm going to try and make it tonight. It's my first attempt at making ice-cream so I am a bit nervous. One quick question, can I use the boxed coconut milk or does it have to be the canned variety?

    Thanks!
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  17. ok this blog is dangerous. such good food!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just discovered your blog and am now thinking of getting an ice cream maker. ;-) I'm trying to avoid cane sugar, opting for a sweetener with some nutrients, and was wondering if I can substitute coconut or palm sugar instead?

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's my bf's parent's wedding anniversary tonight and I'm making this as a special treat for them! Thanks, I bet they're going to love it! Will let you know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I sure wanna try making this...

    ReplyDelete