How to make brown sugar

How to make brown sugar

Just like vanilla extract, brown sugar can be made at home, too. I prefer homemade brown sugar to the store bought variety, not only because it tastes 10x better but, because it's a fraction of the cost. All you need is two ingredients, and chances are you have both of them in your pantry right now. Which means you no longer have an excuse to buy that overpriced crap that hardens within two weeks. But I'm convinced that once you try fresh brown sugar, you won't want to buy that rock hard stuff, anyway.

BROWN SUGAR

1 cup cane sugar
1-2 tsp unsulphured molasses

In a small bowl, stir together the sugar and molasses, using a fork (for light brown sugar, use one teaspoon of molasses; for dark brown sugar use two teaspoons of molasses). It will take a few minutes for the molasses to distribute evenly, but keep stirring until no molasses clumps appear. Use immideately or store in an air tight container.

Yield: 1 cup

7 comments:

  1. I love fresh brown sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great photo! I love this idea, too. I'll have to try it once I run out of the brown sugar that I have right now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you kidding me?!?! I LOVE this! I had no idea you could "make" your own brown sugar! I have GOT to try this! Thank you for the amazing tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man. This is one of those things I've known for so long, but have never thought to just make myself from some sugar and molasses. I feel strangely liberated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Came across your site today via Vegan Yack Attack. Great stuff and new fan! Really would like to make this brown sugar some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It would never have occured to me to make my own brown sugar. You're right though, why pay the over inflated shop bought price?
    Thanks for this tip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i never thought making brown sugar was so easy,
    i tried your recipe today and it came out amazing

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete